and here is the challenge pack I started with. It contained a piece of lilac coloured Bazzill cardstock, papers from Kaisercraft (I know I often say I dislike the papers in the kit, but this time they were really terrible!) The front sides were way to gaudy and kitsch IMHO (see left hand picture), so I used the backs that were much plainer (see right hand picture), although I did cut some hearts out of the purple coloured paper (the middle one in the left hand picture). There were also five different ribbons/laces - a pink velvet, pink/white gingham, yellow rick rack, red loopy ribbon and white eyelet lace. They actually turned out to be easier to use than the papers! As well there two large chipboard hearts (one with a removable centre) a chipboard crown, and three (round) red buttons.
It took me a while to decide what photos I would use with this kit. I finally decided since there were hearts all over the paper, that I would make a layout with a picture of me and Gary, after all I rarely scrap pictures of me and since we didn't have a recent shot of us, I asked Kyaa to take a picture. She loves using my new camera so was happy to oblige. We even got several good photos where we both look good!
I also decided I'd use this sketch from the CRII challenge. I actually turned the sketch a quarter turn to the right, and then I had lots of fun going through my stash looking for heart embellishments - buttons, brads, bling, stickers, etc.
The paper was a bit bland when I used the back sides, so I stitched the paper onto the cardstock which added some more colour and made it stand out. Stitching also allowed me to stitch on the lace (which I threaded with the rick rack first) as a ruffle and attach the red loopy ribbon all at the same time.
I attached the round buttons from the kit with heart shaped brads. I like how they look. I also found a heart shaped paper clip but wasn't sure how to attach that, but in the end filled it with Diamond Glaze so it kind of became an epoxy like sticker. Worked like a charm! The hardest item from kit to use was the chipboard crown! By putting the shaped paper clip between our heads on the picture though, the crown just naturally seemed to fit above it - so voila!I painted the chipboard pieces with my twinkling H2Os. I stamped the XOXOXOXO stamp that Kyaa bought me for Christmas onto the white chipboard 1 in the title. The chipboard 16 came from my TLC selling days. I do love those monogram chipboard letters and numbers because you don't have to paint or cover them, but I'm gradually starting to run out of them :( The glitter alphas were a cheap buy from one of the $2 shops around town. I just put them through my Xyron X sticker maker so that I could attach them.
The rest of the hearts were from my stash and have been there for a loooooooong time! I have no idea where they're from. I did cut a few of the hearts out of the patterned paper as I said before, and drew over the words and borders with my favourite Sakura gelly roll stardust pens. I attached some of the hearts with foam mounting tape to raise them up a bit.
All in all, I like how this one turned out. I guess it's good to be challenged to use something you don't necessarily like in the first place and see what you can come up with!
Till next time, happy days!