Close to my Heart scrapbooking and cardmaking products

I'm an independent Close to my Heart consultant! If you're interested in our wonderful line of products, you can check them out or order online on my website at: Francine.cmth.com.au



7 July 2010

Sketch Competition entry x2

OK - so I'm a bit late blogging about these entries, but better late than never as they say! As I've told you before, my Internet scrapping friend Ingeborg has a sketch competition every month on her competition blog here. She picks a sketch from the latest PageMaps sketches and asks her friends all over the world to make a layout based on that sketch. You have a month in which to do it. As is usual for me, I'm normally getting it in on the last day of the month. In June I cut it really close! I actually wasn't going to enter at all as I hadn't made the time to do an entry. But, at the last minute I decided to play with some brushes in Phototshop Elements and make a digital layout. It was actually after midnight on 30 June here, but in the Netherlands where Ingeborg is, it was still the 30th! Anyway, without further ado, here is the June sketch and my layout.





I picked the colours for the background from my photos then added brushes that I had downloaded from the Internet. Problem is I don't have a proper way of recording where I got them from, so unfortunately I can't tell you what they are or who they're by. Very naughty of me I know. If any of you can offer me a good solution for this, please let me know!

The photos were taken on our trip to Cairns in January. They were all taken in the rainforest, on our day tour to Cape Tribulation. The top one is a stick insect, and yes that is the colour it really is, I didn't fiddle with them! The middle one is some little orange bugs in a flower bud, and the bottom one is of fungus/mushrooms on a log. If there are any entomologists out there who can tell me the names of the bugs and the stick insect I'm curious to know.

Anyway, that was June and of course now we're in July, and guess what - I finished the July layout already!!! I guess the sketch just spoke to me, or maybe it's just because it's school holidays and I'm not working at the moment. Whatever the reason, I really like how this layout turned out. Here's the July sketch and my finished layout.











I did another "killing two birds with one stone" and used the Wrapped in Paper page competition pack. It was all dark papers, but I think suited these photos perfectly. The competition pack looked like this:




It had Kaisercraft patterned papers, a piece of A4 cream coloured cardstock, some black 12"x12" cardstock. two pieces of ribbon, 4 buttons two chipboard arrows, and two sheets of diecuts, one black alphabet, and one white diecut shapes. As per the "rules" I used at least a bit of everything.

I punched circles out of one of the papers, cut them in half and made the scalloped border across the top. For the pinked paper edging below the photos I used my new pinking blade for my paper trimmer, and stapled it on with some yellow coloured staples. I used the same coloured staples to attach the ribbons. The orange flower and corners came from the diecut sheet. I painted them using my Twinkling H2Os. The chipboard arrows were painted with the same colour, but being raw chipboard they came out looking more brown than orange.

I also painted the black alpha diecuts for the title with Moonlight coloured Smooch so they look kind of grey. The only things I added from my stash were the circular bling (which was in fact buckle shaped, but I cut the middle buckle part off and put it under the journalling)from TLC/Breezy, some floss to attach the buttons, the blue and brown flowers, and my new 'Caption it' dymo machine for the date.

On a final note, I guess you could say I used this layout for three things! I also took a picture of it for the weekly photo challenge that I enter. A fellow Australian, Gayle, who I found through Ingeborg's competition site, runs two blogs where she challenges you each week with a different word. Your task is to take a photograph of something representative of that word, and she posts it on her blog. It's interesting to see the different takes that people have on the same word. So, if you're interested, get on over to her site: Capture that Word, or the kids one for children under 18: Captured by Kids.

Till next time. Happy days!

Francine

No comments: