Close to my Heart scrapbooking and cardmaking products

I'm an independent Close to my Heart consultant! If you're interested in our wonderful line of products, you can check them out or order online on my website at: Francine.cmth.com.au



18 April 2013

Bali Blooms


This latest layout is for the current White with 1 challenge. This month it's white + yellow + sketch. Well, I love sketches and yellow is my favourite colour so how could I resist?!

The most difficult thing with this layout was trying to decide which photographs to use. Once I decided though, the rest was pretty quick. I didn't stray from the sketch hardly at all, other than replacing the tag with another photograph. 

Putting the pieces together was fairly straight forward but I will mention a few little tricks I used.


Sequins sewn on with French knots
I sewed the yellow flower sequins onto the page with French knots. First I marked where I wanted the sequins to go, then I pierced a hole with my paper piercer. I brought the floss up from the back of the paper and through the sequin, wrapped the floss around the needle 3 times then put the needle back through the sequin and the paper and pulled it tight. Then I moved on to the next one and repeated the process until all five were done. 

I lit a candle and brought the ends of the ribbon close to the flame to "melt" the ends to stop them from fraying. I put the tape on the page then laid the ribbon on top so that it would stay straight. 

I placed the Cheery Lynn English Tea Party doily on the edge of the paper so that I only cut a half doily. I did the same with the circle for the centre, thus saving paper. 

For the banner I cut a narrow strip of each paper. I lined up the very end only (where the scallops start) of the Stampin' Up! Hearts a Flutter framelits scalloped banner die on the strip to cut the banner pieces as you see on the layout. I stuck them down with a small square of double sided tape in the centre of each piece, then sewed them on my page (piercing the holes first). I figured why not as I already had the needle and floss out! I tied the bows in the floss then sewed them on too. Sewing on the one on the right had the added advantage of affixing the heart shaped paper clip at the same time!

The largest piece of paper was a bit too dark to match the rest of the papers. I glued a piece of mulberry paper over it to tone it down. It also added some texture to the page.
After running through the Big Shot

To cut the shape at the top of the mulberry covered piece, I centred my MFT Die-namics Textile Rectangle Frame at the top of the paper, then lined up the end of the acrylic plate from the Big Shot so that the end only reached half way through the die and then put it through the machine. Once there was no plate over the die any more it stopped cutting. Then all I had to do was cut the paper across from the sides to where the die had already cut off the rest of the paper.  (I hope that makes sense!)

Cut from paper's edge to die cut edge
So that's it for me today. I'm off to find some pictures for my next challenge.

Till next time, happy days!
Francine

4 comments:

Leonie Waldron said...

Love your page Francine, I wish I could stick to a sketch properly! :) Love your little flowers too, thanks for joining in at White With 1! :)

Janice Nicholls said...

Beautiful page Francine, love the little banner and the fab photos. Thanks for sharing with us at WW1.

Kylie said...

i like your use of simplicity....thanks for playing along this month at WW1

myriammg said...

thanks for playing with us at WW1 !
Love your LO, so fresh