Close to my Heart scrapbooking and cardmaking products

I'm an independent Close to my Heart consultant! If you're interested in our wonderful line of products, you can check them out or order online on my website at: Francine.cmth.com.au



19 July 2010

Cairns Layout and Card

Phew - I can't believe it! I finished another Apron Strings challenge. The "My Croppy Summer Assignment #11" was to use a sketch from Nuts About Sketches, AND then create a card from the scraps BUT besides the paper, incorporate an element from the layout onto the card. I found this one quite challenging since I don't really like making cards, and I couldn't find any pictures to use that were in a portrait orientation. So, I turned the sketch 90 degrees and did it that way instead. So, this is what I came up with.

Here's the sketch.

I took a while finding paper that I liked in my stash but finally settled on this striped paper from TLC, and some craft cardstock. The other paper and cardstock are all scraps. I found this fibre in my stash, and for the stitching I used some metallic thread I won from my LSS a while back. I pierced the holes for the stitching using a Mijemoo stitching guide first. After I stitched the pattern I decided to add the seed beads so went over it all again, adding a bead onto each stitch. The title was made with some Kaisercraft Felt alpha stickers for the main title, and a Dymo label made with my Caption Maker for the subtitle.



So, what about the card you ask? Here it is.

I did cut another piece of cardstock for the base, but then used an off cut of the striped paper from the layout. I decided to incorporate the stitching, beads and Dymo label from the layout onto the card. I did use a different flourish than on the layout, and I used sequins and beads, but only on the ends of each stitching line. I also changed the colour of the Dymo tape from black to light blue. It's quite simple, but I like how this card turned out, and I have a birthday coming up soon that I need a card for too!

Well, today may bring my period of prolific scrapbooking (for me at least) to an end as the kids are back at school tomorrow, and I need to go back to work. There is always less time when I'm working, but I do need to fit in my Project 12 layout which is due by the 20th, so I'll be working on that tomorrow night, and probably Tuesday afternoon as well! I have the photos printed already, and the sketch, so I just need to pick the papers and embellishments and put it all together! If I don't get it finished before the deadline, it is unlikely that I'll finish it at all. While I don't enter these challenges for the prizes, the deadlines are always very handy. I seem to work best under pressure. It was the same at school, and I often produce my best work when I have little time to complete something. Anyway, I guess only time will tell.

So, till next time - happy days!

Francine

1 comment:

Lori said...

I really like the detail in the beads, fiber and stitching. Gorgeous. I'm sorry you're heading back to work, as I've really enjoyed your work, so I hope to see it when you can play along.