Close to my Heart scrapbooking and cardmaking products

I'm an independent Close to my Heart consultant! If you're interested in our wonderful line of products, you can check them out or order online on my website at: Francine.cmth.com.au



27 April 2010

Same layout 2 ways

Every month I complete a challenge for my private scrapbooking group CRII. It consists of a layout sketch challenge and a card challenge. This month's layout sketch featured several small photos and a large one.

I was inspired to make a layout about camellias. Why you may ask? Well, one of the group members, Sue, sent me an ATC because I had picked the camellia in our online Bingo game. She told me that it was the state flower of her home state, Alabama. This was all new to me, but I like picking up interesting facts, and the idea for this layout just came to me since we have a garden FULL of camellias and I have LOTS of photos. So, in order to quickly finish the layout, I made a digital one. Actually this gave me a way to see what it might look like too! So, here is the result:

But then I decided that I wanted to make a traditional paper layout too. Well actually I guess it's really a hybrid layout, part digital and part paper. I printed the A4 portion of the left hand side of the layout with the photos onto canvas. I then reprinted the A4 portion of the left hand page, and the A4 portion of the right hand page with the journalling and kaleidoscope onto paper. I found some matching DCWV cardstock and stuck the A4 portions I just printed onto the cardstock. I cut out the pictures from the canvas and mounted them onto squares of chipboard, then used foam mounting tape to put them in their proper spots on the printed paper.

I stamped the title onto some waste canvas with Stazon ink and coloured them in with coloured pencils. I also added a few Kaisercraft rhinestones and a pearl. Since the whole layout was inspired by Sue's ATC, and since its colours matched my layout as well (that was never planned!) I added it to the layout. I also made a pocket on the right hand page by cutting a slit on the edge of the kaleidoscope picture. I made a tab by folding a punched shape in half lengthwise and attaching it to the envelope with Sue's note in it. The punch I used was the Stampin Up! designer label punch. I then slipped the envelope into the pocket behind the kaleidoscope picture. The layout is virtually the same as the digital one, but different! Here it is so you can compare for yourself.
And here are the left and right hand sides individually.




So, what do you think?







As I said above, there is also a card challenge each month. It was also a sketch challenge. Here's the sketch.

And here's my card:

It was made completely from scraps and bits and pieces from my stash. The stars on the left hand side of the card were made from kaleidoscope stars that I made for my Sunflower layout here. I still had some printed so was able to make these. I cut out two of the pointy stars, cut them each in half - one through the points, and the other through the troughs in between. I layered one on top of the other and then stuck them down. For the border on the right I put an acrylic/sequin flower behind every second eyelet. The stamp I used in the middle section was made by Autumn Leaves - Stampology, On the Edge (although interestingly on the packet they're called Block Stamps 2!). The sentiment is from the Stampin Up! Great Friend set.

Till next time, happy days!

No comments: