Close to my Heart scrapbooking and cardmaking products

I'm an independent Close to my Heart consultant! If you're interested in our wonderful line of products, you can check them out or order online on my website at: Francine.cmth.com.au



16 April 2013

Travel




I'm so happy with the way my latest layout turned out! I used a sketch from Page Maps, and the challenge theme (travel) from Frosted Designs and the whole thing came together just as I imagined! It's not often that that happens.

With the travel theme challenge I decided I would use two of my favourite travel quotes:

“If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.” – James Michener 

and:

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine 

As a family of avid travellers there are times when we just sightsee, and times when we really travel. It has been our experience that when we actually immerse ourselves in the culture of the place that the trip is more exciting and interesting. This was certainly the case on our trip to Bali in January. So, I found some photos showing some of the things from James Michener's quote that represented the food (basket of snakeskin fruit), the customs (making an offering in a family temple), the religion (woman praying at Tirta Empul Temple) and the people (working together at the mask painting workshop). All of these pictures evoke fond memories of that trip. 

In putting the layout together I decided that I needed to add more weight to the quote itself and so I typed that up (fonts: Hotel Coral Essex and dearjoe4) in place of the photo in the sketch and made it the centre of attention. The pictures are actually secondary to the quote. 

The second quote from St Augustine I typed onto a piece of patterned paper (font: Corbel)  and then cut it into a banner shape. I even used the piece I cut off (reverse side of the paper facing up this time) for the arrow shape near the journalling. 

Here's a list of the products I used for this layout:
Cardstock: Stampin Up! 
Papers: Kaisercraft
Brads: Kaisercraft and unknown from my stash
Travel words: Junkitz clear acetate "ribbon"
Felt embellishments: Junkitz
Punches: Stampin Up! scallop circle, Creative Memories circle
Cutting dies: Cheery Lynn English tea party doily, Papertrey Ink Limitless layers (1.75" and 2.5" collections), MFT Die-namics File tab, MFT Die-namics Decorative Doily duo, memory box woven circle (style 98114 - now discontinued?) 
Mesh: Gyprock Easytape (from the hardware store!)
Other: Distress Ink (marigold), jute, metal charms, gold letter stickers

So, what do you think? 

Till next time, happy days!
Francine

5 comments:

BrendaB said...

What a fabulous page! I love the way you used the quote as a focal point with the photos supporting your theme! Thanks for joining us at Frosted Designs.

Cathi ONeill said...

I love all the die cuts! Great layout!! Thanks so much for joining us at Frosted Designs travel challenge!

SandeeNC said...

There are so many things to love about this, the quotes, fonts, repeated circles, I could go on and on! Thanks so much for playing along with us over at Frosted Designs Travel Challenge, waving hi from the hills of North Carolina ♥

Eniko said...

Love the travel quotes & your details on this page are fabulous! You seem to have some toys that I've never seen before...love your style!

Deena said...

Love your lay out it is so different to what I have seen, thank you for entering the Travel Challenge at Frosted Designs