Close to my Heart scrapbooking and cardmaking products

I'm an independent Close to my Heart consultant! If you're interested in our wonderful line of products, you can check them out or order online on my website at: Francine.cmth.com.au



26 April 2013

Scrap the Girls


I don’t think I've entered a layout for Scrap the Girls yet. I've looked at the challenges before but that's about as far as it's gotten! So, I decided to change that this month and made this layout with a photo of my mother-in-law and sister-in-law. It was taken at my father-in-law's recent 90th birthday party. My mother-in-law looks so happy and you can't tell in this picture that most of the time she's in a world of her own. It's so sad what dementia has done to her.

I'm really pleased with this layout! I love the colours and the final result. My only problem was I couldn't come up with a title, so for the first time my layout has no title, but I don't think it matters.

The challenge at Scrap the Girls was to scrap a picture (of a girl, obviously!) and use hexagons, buttons and paint/mists. These are not things that I use often (or ever in the case of the hexagons ☺), so it was a great challenge for me.

I started with a sketch by Beck Fleck from Page Maps from September 2011.

I had just bought a hexagon embossing folder (Stampin' Up!) so embossed a piece of black paper and then cut out a single row of hexagons from the embossed paper. I added a bit of gold paint with my finger and put them in place of the row of thumbnail photos in the sketch.

I added some gold paint to the flowers as well. The other paint I used was through a chicken wire template (The Crafter's Workshop ChickenwireTCW239). That ended up being hexagons too really.  

The black lace was left over from an LSS monthly kit and I added some gold ribbon too. I didn't have any ribbon wide enough to go over the end of the patterned paper on the right hand side and felt that it really needed something. But I happened to notice a pack of glitter paper in the mess that is my scrap room and realised that I could just die cut a border. I used the MFT Die-namics faux crochet border die (twice to make a full 12" border and covered the join up with the button).

I think with the exception of maybe one, all the buttons on this layout are from my mother-in-law's
stash! When we cleaned out my in-laws' house before her move to the nursing home I inherited about six jars full of buttons. Rather fitting I think that I used some of them on this layout considering it is about her. Those that had shanks on them I cut off. Unfortunately the shanks didn't exactly come off flush with the bottom of the button and so I attached them with some foam tape. Those with button holes I threaded with some gold ribbon/cord before adding them on to the page with double sided tape.

See the gold pen?!
I used a gold gel pen to add a few dots of gold on the patterned paper. You can see some in some of it in the close up photo. I also coloured the scalloped edge of the patterned paper, and the "pie quarter designs" in that paper too.

I made two swirls from some gold coloured wire, as well as adding the left over pieces of a black rhinestone swirl that a friend had given me (thanks Lainie). There are a few red rhinestones scattered about as well!

All in all, I'm very pleased with this layout and hope you like it too.

Till next time, happy days!
Francine

2 comments:

Marisa said...

wow gorgeous layout! Thanks for playing along at STG :)

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful layout. Love your scrap style and your interpretation of our challenge is perfect. Thanks so much for playing along!